*Spring roll pastry (you can find these at most grocery stores, but the kind at specialty grocery stores are better)
*Approximately 1 lb. ground pork, chicken, or turkey
*2 carrots, grated
*2 small onions, sliced thin
*1/2 head of cabbage, sliced thin like cole slaw (you can buy a bag of shredded cole slaw w/out sauce if you prefer)
*Other optional ingredients: small shrimp, spinach or snow peas (sliced thin)
*2 Tbsp. soy sauce
*1 tsp. sesame oil
1. Slice/grate your veggies very thin.
2. 2. Brown meat until cooked thoroughly. You may want to add 1/4 c. water to pork when cooking if you have a low-fat percentage.
3. 3. When meat is cooked, add veggies and soy sauce and sesame oil. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes--overcooking will cause your veggies to get soggy.
4. 4. Drain veggies in a colander and let cool, or the mixture will ruin your pastry.
5. . When your mixture has cooled, open your spring roll pastry. Don't open too early--they'll dry out. Also, plan on using the entire package at once. They won't keep once they're opened. Just peel off a couple at a time.
7. Crack an egg in a small dish and lay out a pastry.
8. Spoon some of the mixture onto the pastry wrap near the corner closest to you
9. Wrap fast! Fold the corner up and wrap tightly around mixture as shown.
10. ip a finger in your egg white and wet the two corners of the wrap. (This is important to keep the wrap sealed until it's fried.)
11. Fold corners over and press to seal.